Essential gEDA Library
put together by: Kai-Martin Knaak
The catalog of symbols and footprints presented here is supposed to provide
reasonable defaults for simple electronics projects. It is self consistent.
That is, the default footprint attribute of a symbol points to one of the
footprints given in the footprint section.
Note: All symbols, footprints and scripts are licensed GPL 3 for
distribution, and unlimited for use. See
for the details
The symbols of the essential lib are designed as generic, yet ready
for use. They contain footprint attributes that match items
in the footprint section of this lib. The symbols also demonstrate the
recommended use of some none-mandatory attributes like "documentation",
"comment" and "symversion". There is no need to add attributes to the
instances of the symbol in the schematics. The symbols are "heavy" in the
context of the geda library debate.
(see a recap of the debate in the gschem-FAQ).
The set of symbols tries to deliver a look and feel consistent with
accepted standard practice in electronics. The choice of symbols is by no
means complete. But they should allow for simple projects.
With a few exceptions, all symbols contain these three visible symbols:
On placement of the symbol, these attributes are promoted to the schematic.
They can be changed per instance in the schematic with the attribute editor.
To avoid clutter, only the value of these attributes is visible. Their color
is "detached attribute", size is 10 units, except for the footprint
attribute, which is size 8. These three attributes are generally placed on
top of each other somewhere near the graphics. For slotted symbols,
the slot attribute is also visible in the canvas.
All symbols in the lib contain these standard attributes in a hidden way:
The hidden attributes are placed top to bottom in this order somewhere above
the symbol graphic. Font size is 8, color is "Attribute", line separation
is 200 units.
In case there is no value known for the standard attributes, but should be
replaced with the instance in the schematic, their value is set to the
string "unknown". If no value is the intended value, then the value is
set to the string "none".
There are some attributes which are not (yet) in the set of standard
attributes hard coded in source of gschem.
If symbols comply with IEC 60617, they may contain a pair of attributes who
point to the number and name of the symbol in the standard. Example:
- IEC-name=noiseless ground
For some symbols there is more than one reasonable footprint in the lib.
Most notably, many components come in SMD and thru hole variants. Other
symbols may most likely be attributed with one of a small set of standard
values (e.g. 1N4148, or 1N4001 for diodes). To make this discoverable,
there are two attributes which contain a comma separated list of
Currently, these lists are purely informational. Check "show inherited
attributes" in the attribute editor to get them displayed. Future versions
of the attribute editor may put the items in a drop-down list so you can
choose from them with a simple mouse click.
In addition to the standard attributes, the symbols meet the following
- The sensitive point of all pins is at grid 100 gschem units.
- Power pins of integrated circuits are split off to a separate
power symbol. A hiddden comment attributes hints what power symbol to use.
- Graphic lines are generally width 10
- Pin length is generally 100 units.
- Pin numbers are hidden, if they follow a generally accepted
standard. With box shaped symbols they are placed 50 units above the pin
and 50 units outside the box. Pin number size is 8 units.
- With box shaped symbols, pin labels are placed 50 units inside
the box, vertically centered to the pin. Pin label size is 10 units.
- titleblock.sym - A titleblock with detached attributes for title, author, date, revision, etc.
- in.sym - input port symbol for sub sheets in a hierarchy
- out.sym - output port symbol for sub sheets in a hierarchy
- cap_horiz.sym - capacitor, drawn horizontally
- cap_vert.sym - capacitor, drawn vertically
- diode.sym - diode
- zener.sym - zener
- igbt.sym - N-channel enhancement IGBT
- res_horiz.sym - resistor, DIN EN style, drawn horizontally
- res_vert.sym - resistor, DIN EN style, drawn vertically
- res2.sym - resistor, ANSI style, drawn horizontally
- npn_transistor.sym - NPN transistor
- pnp_transistor.sym - PNP transistor
- nmosfet.sym - N-channel MOSFET
- nmosfet_power.sym - N-channel MOSFET with body diode
- pmosfet.sym - p-channel MOSFET
- pmosfet_power.sym - P-channel MOSFET with body diode
- igbt.sym - N-channel enhancement IGBT
- potentiometer.sym - potentiometer, drawn horizontally
- potentiometer_vert.sym - potentiometer, drawn vertivcally
- varistor.sym - varistor
These symbols provide a specific net
- res_400mil.fp - resistor, thru hole, approx. 10mm pin distance
- res_300mil.fp - resistor, thru hole, approx. 15mm pin distance
- res_800mil.fp - power resistor, thru hole, approx. 20mm pin distance
- res_vert.fp - resistor mounted thru hole, vertically
- cap_100mil.fp - capacitor, thru hole, 100 mil pin distance
- cap_200mil.fp - capacitor, thru hole, 200 mil pin distance
- cap_200mil_a.fp - capacitor, thru hole, 200 mil pin distance, 2.5 mm rectangular shape
- cap_200mil_b.fp - capacitor, thru hole, 200 mil pin distance, 5 mm rectangular shape
- cap_200mil_c.fp - capacitor, thru hole, 200 mil pin distance, 7 mm rectangular shape
- cap_1100mil.fp - capacitor, thru hole, 1100 mil pin distance, 11 mm rectangular shape
- elko_RM25_D6.fp elcap, pins 2.5 mm apart, diameter 6 mm
- elko_RM35_D8.fp elcap, pins 3.5 mm apart, diameter 8 mm
- elko_RM5_D6.fp elcap, pins 5 mm apart, diameter 6 mm
- elko_RM5_D10.fp elcap, pins 5 mm apart, diameter 10 mm
- elko_RM5_D13.fp elcap, pins 5 mm apart, diameter 13 mm
- elko_RM75_D16.fp elcap, pins 7.5 mm apart, diameter 16 mm
- elko_RM75_D18.fp elcap, pins 7.5 mm apart, diameter 18 mm
- elko_RM10_D22.fp elcap, pins 10 mm apart, diameter 22 mm
- elko_BC_D35.fp - elcap by BC Components, diameter 35 mm
- dio_1206.fp - diode, SMD, 1206
- dio_1812.fp - diode, SMD, 1812
- dio_400mil.fp - diode, thru hole, approx. 10 mm pin distance
- LED_1206.fp - thru hole LED, SMD, size 1206
- LED_3mm.fp - thru hole LED, 3mm diameter
- LED_5mm.fp - thru hole LED, 5mm diameter
- SOT23_BEC.fp - bipolar transistor, SOT23
- TO92_ECB.fp - bipolar transistor, TO92
- TO220_ECB.fp - bipolar transistor, TO220
- TO220_ECB_LAY.fp - bipolar transistor, TO220, screwed to pcb
- TO126_ECB.fp - bipolar transistor, TO126
- SOT23_GSD.fp - MOSFET, SOT23
- TO92_GDS.fp - MOSFET, TO92
- TO92_DGS.fp - MOSFET, TO92, alternative pinout
- TO220_GDS.fp - MOSFET, TO220
- TO247_GDS_LAY.fp - MOSFET, TO247, screwed to pcb
- TO220_GCE.fp - IGBT, TO220
- TO220_GCE_LAY.fp - IGBT, TO220, screwed to pcb
- var_8mm.fp varistor with 8mm spaced pins, vertical mount
- var_8mm_lay.fp varistor with 8mm spaced pins, flat mount
- var_10mm.fp varistor with 10mm spaced pins, vertical mount
- var_10mm_lay.fp varistor with 10mm spaced pins, flat mount
Generic Thru Hole
- BPW34.fp photodiode, model BPW34, thru hole
- BPW34S.fp photodiode, model BPW34S, SMD
- BPW34_upsidedown.fp photodiode, BPW34, sensitive side on bottom side
- BPW34S_upsidedown.fp photodiode, BPW34S, sensitive side on bottom side
- SO8_78Lxx.fp - 8-pin version of fixed positive voltage regulator
- SO8_79Lxx.fp - 8-pin version of fixed negative voltage regulator
- SO8_LM317.fp - 8-pin version of variable positive voltage regulator
- SO8_LM337.fp - 8-pin version of variable negative voltage regulator
- SOT_78LxxA.fp - for some reason, the most prolific SOT89 version of the fixed positive voltage regulator has input and output swapped.
- SOT_79Lxx.fp - SOT89 version of the fixed negative voltage regulator.
- SOT89_LM317.fp - SOT89 version of the variable positive voltage regulator.
- VISHAY_T18.fp - multi turn cermet potentiometer, length 19 mm, series VISHAY T18, or BI technologies model 89
- VISHAY_T93YA.fp - multi turn cermet potentiometer, height 10 mm, series VISHAY T93YA, or BI technologies model 67W
- VISHAY_T93YB.fp - multi turn cermet potentiometer, height 10 mm, series VISHAY T93YB, or BI technologies model 67Y
- ALPS_RK11K112.fp - single turn potentiometer by ALPS
A changelog of the essential library is
Copyright 2015, all rights reserved unless specified otherwise.
gedasymbols.org is maintained by